It's summer vacation time, and that means you might be looking for something to occupy your time, and your child's time! Well, have no fear, because swimming lessons might be a great option for you!
First of all, safety is key for any kid, and unfortunately, there's room to improve here in the Sunshine State. As reported by the Sun-Sentinel, Florida leads the nation in unintentional drowning deaths for kids up to age 14. And in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, it's the leading cause of death for that age group. As the article points out: "The risk of drowning can be reduced significantly if children take swim lessons by age 4, and lessons are now recommended for children starting at age 1."
So as startling as that information might be, it should also be pretty motivating! Let's get out kids comfortable in the water! Here are some sources that the Sun-Sentinel cites for some lessons! Check them out below:
- In Broward County, sign up to get a $40 coupon good for the free lessons for children ages 6 months to 4 years at WaterSmartBroward.org.
- The Drowning Prevention Coalition in Palm Beach County offers free swim-lesson vouchers for qualified children ages 2-12. The lessons are for foster children, Palm Beach County residents, and those with Medicaid, Florida Kid Care, Healthy Kids, special needs, or whose parents receive food stamps or Section 8 housing. Submit applications to PBCGOV.com/DPC or call 561-616-7068.
- In Miami-Dade, children 2-17 may qualify for free lessons with Learn2Swim scholarships provided through the county’s parks and recreation department. Info: Miamidade.gov/parks/learn-to-swim-program.asp.
- The 2019 World’s Largest Swimming Lesson event will be held on Thursday, June 20, at South Florida aquatic centers and more than 600 locations in 25 counties around the world. Go to WLSLl.org to find a participating location.
- The American Red Cross and YMCA also offer swim lessons from certified instructors. Locations, dates and prices vary. Info: Redcross.org/take-a-class/swimming/swim-lessons and YMCA.net/find-your-y.