It’s been a long time, but I’m going back. Sure, I was born in Brooklyn, moved to Long Island as a kid and ultimately down to Florida, which I believe is actually a law. I ONLY identify as a Floridian, although I like to consider myself as “state fluid."
Best thing the folks did was move down here. We stayed at my Aunt and Uncles house, they lived near Lake Osbourne in Lake Worth, and they had a surfboard in the car port (do they still have car ports)? Somehow, I ended up with a fishing pole, went to the lake, and came home with a bucket full of fish (I guarantee there was no ice). I’m certain my NYC bred parents had no idea what to do with the fish, but I have a vague recollection of cleaning them and frying them...I was 11. That began my lifelong fascination with the water, and since there was no baseball down here at the time (there still isn’t, some would argue), Paul Castronovo was a Florida boy...and damn happy for it.
This Christmas, we are going to New York, the city that never sleeps (but what about my naps), and when I ask people where I should eat, or what I should do...it has become overwhelming. So far, here are what we have whittled down the restaurant list to (and we are only going for 3 nights, what the actual Fuc&) :
- David Burke tavern (Top Chef guy) this place looks so cool.
- Chumleys (the quintessential NY restaurant) Favorite spot for Hemingway, Steinbeck and the great writers...filling up quickly, but looks so cool , can’t get in until 10pm, damn..
- Marble, can’t get in (Italian)
- L’Artusi, can’t get in (Italian)
- Atla, Hipster Mexican (maybe)
- Pastis (new times food critics fav spot).
- Bistro Bokamper loves this place too
- The lambs Club (Geoffrey Zarcharian)
- Rolfs German American (Ralph said this is THE place to go for Christmas, just google it)
- Lucian (French Bistro)
- Delposto (Lidia Bastianich high end)
- Delfriscos (steak)
- Ilmulino (NY flagship of the one from Boca)
- Becco (Lidia more casual, going Tuesday)
- Collichios places, Temple Court and Craft (both look very NY)
- Cut by Wolfgang puck (steakhouse)
- Atlantic Grill (steak )
- Hudson Clearwater (funky place by our hotel recommendation by Mecurio’s friend)
- San pietro , Italian
- Peter Luger, Cash only
- ABC kitchen
- Le’Avenue at Saks overlooking the tree at Rockefeller center
- Balthazar French Bistro
- Marc Forgione, too foo foo
- Eataly (lunch)
- Ivan Ramen* saw this guy on Netflix, looks cool
Any place you wanna add? Oh, going to see the Late Show with Stephen Colbert as well as the 911 Memorial, the tree at Rockefeller Center, and MAYBE a play. I’m exhausted already.