Happy National Scotch Day!
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch." -- Ron Burgundy
Let's celebrate with some scotch trivia.
- All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley. Commercial distilleries began introducing whisky made from wheat and rye in the late 18th century. As of 2020, there were 134 Scotch whisky distilleries operating in Scotland.
- Did you know that all Scotch whisky must be aged in oak barrels for at least three years?
- The Scottish Gaelic name for Scotch Whisky is Uisge Beath, The Water Of Life.
- Just under 38 bottles of whisky are being exported from Scotland every second.
- In October 20019 a single bottle of scotch shattered the record for most expensive wine or spirit ever sold at auction. The Macallan Fine and Rare 60-Year-Old fetched an eye-watering $1.9 million USD. The 1926 vintage malt was drawn from a legendary barrel, prized by collectors for its near-mystical characteristics hence the staggering price.
My boyfriend drinks bourbon whisky with coke. So I don't think I'll be buying him the good stuff any time soon! 😂