Happy National Grab Some Nuts Day haha. As I'm writing this, I'm snacking on some macadamias, my uncle used to have a macadamia tree and we would run outside and get them as a delicious snack! But apparently, they aren't in the top 5 healthiest nuts, but I'll get to that in a minute.
First, did you know that women eat more nuts than men .... no, I know where your mind went there.
The largest nuts in the world weigh over 50 pounds!
And there's a world record for crushing nuts by sitting on them. A guy in Japan did it 122 times in under a minute. 😂
More Fun Facts About Nuts;
- Almonds need honeybees to pollinate them so they can grow
- You can use walnuts as a gluten-free base for anything that needs a crust
- Ancient Greeks believed hazelnuts could treat coughing and baldness
- Peanuts account for 2/3 of all nut consumption
- Pine nuts get their name because they are found inside pinecones
- The magnesium in sunflower seeds can help promote a healthy mood
- Pistachios get their green colour from the same pigment that colours spinach and kale
- Cashews are in the same plant family as poison ivy. Their shells hold all of the itchy oil.
- Pumpkin seeds should be eaten raw in order to preserve the healthy fats
Welcome to one of my favourite websites nutritionfacts.org by Dr Michael Greger, not sure why he's almost whispering in this video but he tells you the top 5 best nuts you can eat.
I will still be eating macadamias but I think I'll be adding the top 5 to my snack rotation from now on!