9-Year-Old Girl Hospitalized After Eating Marijuana Edibles at School

The war on weed

Photo: Joseph Copley / iStock / Getty Images

Miami Gardens, FL - A 9-year-old girl was hospitalized on Tuesday after eating marijuana edibles that she thought were Airheads at a South Florida elementary school.

According to police, the student obtained the edibles from a fifth grader at Bunche Park Elementary on Tuesday morning.

Police say the student and several of her classmates consumed the candy and experienced lethargy throughout the school day, with some students seeking medical attention from the school nurse.

Upon picking the student up from school, the girl's father noticed her unusual behavior.

Later in the day, the student presented family members with a Gas Heads Xtremes candy wrapper, which resembles the sour candy "Airheads Xtreme."

Authorities clarified that the packaging and graphics are nearly identical, except for a small marijuana leaf and THC dosage information printed at the bottom of the Gas Heads wrapper.

Concerned about his daughter's well-being, the father took the student to urgent care, where tests confirmed the presence of cannabis in her system.

The student received IV fluids and is expected to make a full recovery.

In response to the incident, Miami-Dade Public Schools released a statement on Wednesday: "A student at Bunche Park Elementary shared some candy with classmates that caused them to become ill. Miami-Dade Schools Police Department, in conjunction with school administration, is investigating this incident. At Miami-Dade County Public Schools, the well-being and safety of our students is our biggest priority."

As of Wednesday, no criminal charges had been filed, but an investigation remains ongoing.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content